Participants not always have time to stop and to explore the sights on the route, but we believe that it is more interesting to go past the places about which you know something interesting.
We hope everyone knows about the Aurora cruiser. The first kilometers will pass through the Pirogovskaya near-river Bolshaya Nevka River, named after the founder of military field surgery, Professor Pirogov, who worked at the Military Medical Academy, which we will leave on the right, right behind the tunnel under the Liteiny Bridge.
At the exit from the dense city building on the right along the Lakhta Center - Gazprom headquarters. The 87-story skyscraper is 462 meters high, the tallest building in Europe. The start of construction is October 2012. At first, they tried to build all this almost in the center of St. Petersburg, near the Peter the Great Bridge, but because of the foundations of the founding of the historic site, the skyscraper was moved.
The town of Sestroretsk, 30 - 36 km: in 1714 the palace of Peter I was built here, and in 1721 the construction of an arms factory began, smelting metal from local swamp ores. The mechanisms were driven by water, a dam was built on the Sestra River to create pressure, and a Sestroretsky spill formed (on the right in the direction of travel).
The Resort Area, 45 - 66 km: beaches, holiday homes, expensive mansions and the most expensive restaurants in St. Petersburg. Many wealthy residents move here from the city for the summer.
The town of Zelenogorsk, 58 km: climate resort. Until 1918 it was called Teriyoki, was part of the Russian Empire, from 1918 to 1940 - as a result of the first Soviet-Finnish war, the Finns crossed the Tartu Peace Treaty, the border then passed along the Sestra River. Since 1940 it has been called Zelenogorsk.
Kamenka village, 104.5 km: a military town located next to the Bobochinsky training ground.
During the “Winter” Soviet-Finnish War of 1939–40, the famous “Mannerheim Line” took place on the territory of the training ground, which the Red Army could not overcome for three months. On the territory of the landfill, the remains of the blown up pillboxes - "millionaires" - remained - the construction of each cost the Finnish budget more than a million marks.
The town of Vyborg, Vyborg castle. checkpoint N 2, 145 km. The city was founded in 1293 by the Swedes and named Vyborg. In 1710 he moved to the Russian Empire, from 1917 to 1944 it was the Finnish city of Viipuri, later the Soviet city of Vyborg.
The castle gave rise to the city, was subsequently rebuilt many times, destroyed during sieges and fires, rebuilt and reconstructed. The castle now houses a history museum and a customs service museum.
The village of Losevo, Losevsky rapids, 310 km.
Until 1857 there was no river in this place. In 1818 - 1819, Finnish peasants began to dig a canal for flood water from Lake Sukhodolskoye (below the threshold) to Ladoga. In 1820, with a severe flood and storm, the unfinished canal through the sand spit was washed out, a stormy stream from the lake rushed to Ladoga, washed the jumper, and the lake level fell by six meters, freeing several square kilometers of agricultural land from under water. But the inflow of water in the lake was not enough, the channel dried up, and Ladoga storms began to wash it, restoring the hydrological balance. Then the Finnish government decided by explosions to connect the Vuoksa River with Sukhodolsky Lake and further to the Ladoga shipping canal. However, due to ignorance, instead of a navigable canal, a stormy river turned out to be impassable for ships of that time, and the level of lakes in the Vuoksa system decreased by four meters, and the entire system ceased to be navigable..
The city of Priozersk, 375 km. Mention of the fortress at the mouth of the Vuoksa dating from 1295. At first it was the Korela fortress of the Novgorod Republic, from 1580 to 1595 and from 1617 to 1721 - it was captured by the Swedes and was called Kexholm, from 1811 to 1940 the Finnish city of Kexholm, or Kyakisalmi, from 1940 the city of Priozersk as part of the USSR. Now it is a small city, mainly engaged in timber processing.
The road along the Ladozhskie Shkhery National Park, 397-560 km. Shkhera (Skerries) - the Swedish word, means an archipelago of small rocky islands, separated by numerous narrow straits. Skerries are practically invisible from the road, but the road itself is very beautiful: numerous turns, steep ascents and descents, rocks and boulders in a pine forest on the sides of the road.
Military-historical complex "Mount Filin", checkpoint N 6, 470 km. The Finnish bunker cut down in the rock, which served as a shelter for the headquarters of the Finnish brigade. Recently converted into a museum. The exposition includes two Soviet tanks, an anti-aircraft and anti-tank gun, an exposition inside a bunker carved into the rock, showing the life of the Finnish military, a path to the top of the cliff with interesting photographs on the stands, and a shooting gallery in which money can be spent white light as if a pretty penny from a machine gun - 50 rubles per shot)))
The city of Sortavala, 512 km. The settlement received the status of a city in 1646 by order of the Swedish king. Like all border cities, Sortavala repeatedly changed citizenship. The originality of the city is given by the preserved Finnish buildings of the early XX century. Now it is a large administrative center of southern Karelia.
Uksunjoki River, checkpoint N 8 and 14, 597 km. Picturesque meadow near the bridge. The river is actively used by water tourists for rafting, has several very technically hard riffles.
Kinerma village, checkpoint N 12, 665 km. Karelian village with traditional buildings, whose history goes back 440 years. The uniqueness of Kinerma in its architecture. She is just a reference example of a traditional Karelian settlement. The whole traditional space-planning structure has been preserved in it. All this makes the village an interesting monument of folk wooden architecture of the southern Karelians. Now it is more of a tourist attraction.
The city of Petrozavodsk, checkpoint N11, 794 km. The capital of the republic is Karelia. It was founded on September 1, 1701 by the decree of Peter the Great, who decided to establish an arms factory. The status of the city received in 1777. Located on the shores of Lake Onega, climatic conditions equated to the regions of the Far North.
The House of Composers is a Finnish pharmacist’s hunting house, on the outside is stone, and on the inside is a wooden log house. After the accession of Karelia to the USSR, the house was transferred to the Union of Composers, many famous cultural figures spent the summer here. The piano brought by Pakhmutova has survived. The house is an architectural monument, and new guest houses, a cafe and a hotel are actively being built around.
The marble quarry of Ruskeala. It is often mistakenly called the "canyon" due to the fact that that now the main quarry is flooded. The deposit of marble was used by the Swedes before the Northern War, then in 1766 a person named Samuel Alopeus drew the attention of the Russian authorities to the local marble. Beginning form 1768 in Ruskeala, by decree of Catherine II, active extraction of marble stone began for the construction of St. Petersburg palaces and cathedrals. Ruskeala marble was used in the construction of St. Isaac's Cathedral, for cladding of the Marble Palace and the Hermitage, for laying floors in the Kazan Cathedral. Ruskeala marble was also used in the construction of palaces in Pushkin, Pavlovsk and Strelna. Since 1854, marble was mined as a raw material for lime and crushed into rubble. During the Soviet-Finnish War of 1939 - 1940, the drainage of the quarry stopped and it was flooded. In this state, it was abandoned and being visited only by amateur tourists until 2002, when enterprising people turned it into a sightseeing object and an amusement park.
Attractions on the route
Participants not always have time to stop and to explore the sights on the route, but we believe...